Thursday, March 1, 2012

Time For: Smiler


Just about to wrap up the Mobo UK Tour (Norwich this evening is the last date), Smiler is a name on many lips right now. Not only a lovely young man, he's rather talented too. Whether making songs with a then unknown Lana Del Ray (Spender), signing to Warner, working with Wretch 32 on the Zane Lowe hyped Delorean, or dropping a free mixtape, All I Know (generous), we predict this south London rapper is going to have a great 2012.

We had a quick word with the 26 year-old to see what he had to say for himself.

How did you hook up with old Lana?
We were just working in the same studio one day and got talking. We got on really well and she ended up putting down the vocals to Spender. She's a great girl, I can't believe how huge she's become. She definitely deserves all her success.


Lana, signing a deal, working with Wretch... it's looking good for you.
We don't deviate too far from the plan; initially it's just make great music and continue as we mean to go on, that's it. I think a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to forecast the direction in which it's gonna go and try to adapt themselves or their careers to the journey of the game. You can fall flat on your face by doing that because you're not standing for anything.


You've had shout-out from everyone from Nas to DJ Premier. Why do you think people are feeling you so much?
I'm very intricate with flows, there's a lot of depth to what I represent and what I convey in my music. At the same time it's very captivating by tone and feel good too. I'm just trying to make the best music I can make and be the best that I can be. That may sound simple, but it's a lot of hard work!


Follow Smiler
Like Smiler
Download Smiler

No comments:

Post a Comment