Thursday, March 8, 2012

Time For: Natalie Duncan

#internationalwomensday Part 3.

We've been a bit obsessed with Ms. Duncan since seeing her perform last year.

The voice. THE VOICE! This girl is just so incredible and we can see her being absolutely massivehuge this year.

We had a quick chat with the Nottingham born singer to find out what this grim reaper of pop is about.



Making music is what I've always done... 
I won a talent show at school, I guess that was the first time I performed. I’ve always liked writing songs and playing the piano basically. At the age of 16 I went to college, did music there, and then got in a few bands, we just open mics and gigs really. I always knew I would do it but I'm not from a musical background.

My sound is...
I guess my music has an element of soul and songwriting, but also melody and misery (laughs).  I have a track called Uncomfortable Silence, which is very depressing. It’s when I lived alone in my flat and my boyfriend had left me, so I had no money to pay for our flat and I had to live in this crap place. Some people were round at my house after a party and I just felt like I was in a massive hole. I didn’t want to be by myself at all. There’s no happy ending! (laughs). I’m definitely a welcome grim-reaper for the pop world.

My songs are… 
All quite abstract. I like to think they’re more interesting than a love song or a pop song. I like to explore and mess around with melodies as well, being quite intricate and delicate with parts of melody – having classical elements and then making it into blues. I don’t really have a formula; I want to write a song that sounds a particular way, so I do.

If I wasn’t making music I’d…
Still be working for a mental health charity, and doing function gigs for money. I can’t see myself doing much else…


No comments:

Post a Comment