Thursday, August 25, 2011

G-Shock X Vice Comp: Sam Moore



This 23 year-old Nottingham based freelance illustrator/designer drew on Ninja's for his illustration.

Why did you enter the competition?
I entered the competition because I'm a big fan of Vice mag and of G-Shock, and I liked the loose brief style. It's always good to have a bit of freedom.

How do you think your illustration reflected the brief?
I didn't want to be too literal with my entry, so I thought past smashing watches with bricks or dunking them under water. I wanted to really show how tough a G-Shock is - so I went with Ninjas. The colours, layout and characters are all to create a pretty intense scene centred around the G-Shock.

What inspired your illustration?
I kept old kung fu influences in my mind whilst working on this piece, like Shogun Assassin, Shinobi and Kill Bill. But my main inspiration was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of course, which was my favourite as a kid... and sort of still is.

What's the toughest thing about being an illustrator?
The toughest thing about being an illustrator for me is finding the balance between what you want to create and what will get you paid. It is a job after all. It's always frustrating to be asked to do something which feels forced, but honestly the thing about illustration should be the fun you have with it. If you are making art out of being honest and having fun, you can't really lose.

What's the toughest decision you've made in your professional life?
I'm still very early in my professional life and so the real tough decisions are likely yet to come but I didn't sell my soul to adobe for photoshop skills or anything! The most crucial decision regarding my professional life was going to university, all of the knowledge and friends I picked up have had a priceless affect on my work.

What are your ambitions for the future?
My ambitions for the near future are to continue freelancing and learning. I have a long way to go still but I love what I do and I'm always hungry to pick up new skills and meet other illustrators. After that, well, I'll play it by here.

Where can we see more of your work?
Over on my website and I keep a blog of my latest work and inspirations on Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment