Friday, May 31, 2013

Joel Compass: F'ed Up



It's the morning after the night before and Black Butter signed singer/ songwriter Joel Compass has been a bad boy.

Love he self-taught Compass' take on the Frank Ocean/ Weeknd sound; trippy, off kilter, futuristic and full of emo atmos. Not surprising to find out then that the south Londoner is inspired by space.


"I love science and I love experimenting, so that’s a major influence on me, musically," Joel told us. "I see it as blank canvas when I start and then I visually experiment. I like to start a note and then go from there, adding on things that might work with each other. The sound is current, I think. I’m trying to make my music ahead of where I think music will be in the future. I don’t want to be making music that people are already making. That doesn’t make much sense to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment