Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Time For: Angel Haze [Cleaning Out My Closet]

As she just released her version of Eminem's Cleaning Out My Closest, we decided to drop a sneak preview of a little chat we had with Angel two weeks ago when she was in London to perform at the Hoxton Bar & Grill.

One of the most searingly honest rappers out right now, on the song, Haze talks with a shocking starkness and intricacy about sexual abuse.

Here's what Haze had to say about the track.


It's fair to say you had a full-on upbringing, right?
My mum and I have a really weird relationship. My dad has never been around, he died before I was born. We’ve always bounced around from here to there, A to Z. Like, whatever. We’ve always had a lot of conflict but now we’re just getting more towards having an actual relationship. I guess that's from getting older but more when you move out. Like, ‘I don’t have to deal with your shit 24/7.’

What does she think of what you're doing?
She's really proud. It worked out. It’s weird. I recorded a song recently that’s due to drop in a couple of weeks and she heard it. I think it’s one of my most insanely honest, vulnerable, crazy songs ever and my mom ended up apologizing for everything that ever happened. It’s so surreal for me. It’s something that you wait for [an apology] your entire life and then it happens and I don’t even know how to deal with it. It’s weird. It feels like a release. It feels good. The song is called Cleaning Out My Closest.

What can you tell us about it?
Nothing. You have to wait and hear it. I don't want to say anything about it yet.



We'll be back with more from Angel Haze in the next few days....


No comments:

Post a Comment